Wednesday, September 8, 2010

5 Simple and Economical Ways to Decorate Your First Apartment Or Dorm

It is an exciting day when you go off to college or move into your first place. I remember fondly my little apartment with barely enough space to fit my twin mattress and single foldable chair. I was all of 19 years old and decorating was not on the top of my to do list at the time.

With going to school and working my budget was very tight. I think I just used some poster putty to hang posters up that I found at the local bookstore. It worked for me at the time.

Now that I am older I am still a thrifty shopper but I am also more creative in the ways I decorate our apartment. Our budget has always been limited but I have learned to use what I have access to like magazines, repurposed fabric, natural resources like pine cones and twigs as well as dollar store finds. I must admit though I still use posters and poster putty to decorate my boys room and even my creative inspiration wall.

Just because you are young and on a budget does not mean your apartment has to look like it is starving. Get rid of the bare wall syndrome and give one or more of the following ideas a try.

1. Printable Art

Printable Art is an easy low cost solution to the bare wall syndrome many young college students face. Sites like IndieFixx.com offer the Feed your Soul program which encourages you to smile and enjoy art even in a rough economy.

2. Dollar Store Finds

For a couple of dollars you can purchase 3 - 5 wooden picture frames at your local dollar store. Use items such as printable art, a nice piece of fabric, pictures of friends or family, and even your own art work to bring color to your walls.

3. Second Hand Fabric Bunting

You can find some of the greatest vintage fabric prints at thrift stores. I usually find them in the linen department. Once you find the fabric make a bunting to hang across a bare wall. You don't even need to sew it, just use fabric glue instead. You will need some binding or ribbon to adhere the triangles to and even that can be purchased at some thrift stores.

4. Decorative Vinyl Wall Art

With vinyl wall art you can decorate an entire wall without having to permanently alter your apartment or dorm room. You can purchase them online at etsy.com and amazon.com or if you are artistically gifted, just print some off using vinyl sheets from your local office supply store.

5. Potpourri Sachets

Decorating an apartment or dorm does not always mean putting something on the wall. Try making some sachets and placing them in a basket on a table or counter. You can make them square, rectangle, or even mix the shapes up a bit. Choose material to complement your style and as in the case of the bunting, try using thrifted material. You can still get by without having to sew these too. Just glue 3 sides and wait for them to dry. Add lavender or potpourri and glue the remaining side closed.

I hope you are inspired by these simple and thrifty ways to bring life and color into your little space. Be mindful in the colors you choose and the purchases you make. You do not have to be a rabid consumer to live a beautiful life.

Sale Slimfast Online Panasonic VIERA Hdtv Best Buy Netbook Sale