Sunday, August 1, 2010

Gardening is Hope

There are all kinds of gardens and gardeners out there. In my neck of the woods now is the time when most homeowners visit their local garden centers to buy a bevy of annuals and perennials. Dig a few holes, fertilize and watch the colors grow.

For me gardening is much more. I don't have a lot of space but between the ground and containers I pack a vivid and eclectic punch. Gardeners can list many reasons similar to mine why they love to garden and what they get from it. For me it gives me hope and teaches me patience. It brings me daily thoughts of my Dad.

With the economy being what it is these days resources are strained but this type of situation can lead to inventive thinking. Anyone with tons of resources can do anything but when someone has to do something with nothing that requires thinking, time and patience.

My budget for the whole growing seasons was $10. I don't count fertilizer or soil since these 2 things are constants gardeners must have on hand but the budget was for plants. I do make my own compost and I live in a townhouse where our gardens are mulched. So from seed (and some seed I cultivated from seasons prior) I am growing Impatiens, Sweet William, Cosmos, Coreopsis, Nigella, Sky Campion, Mums, Calendula, Parsley and Basil.

So back in February, after getting out of a cast from a broken leg, I started. Every time I still look upon the growing process with the eyes of a child. Taking bits of crusty tiny shells and specks of dirt, place it in soil and with water and a grow lamp watch sprouts emerge. Then with time and patience monitor their progress until they are able to get repotted or planted. Even while writing this I get quiet with the thought of it.

True gardening is when you can grow something from nothing. When you have to rely on your head, your instincts, your heart and when you can then say "I grew that from seed." What an accomplishment. Also another caveat is the unwillingness to wait. Sometimes I have tried to force the process by repotting too soon or fertilizing with disastrous results. You must listen with your head and pay attention.

So far I'm on budget I bought 3 plants for $10. Petunias for a quick splash until my own annuals flower and herbs that are better bought than grown from seed. I even reused soil which I amended with my own compost, added fertilizer so I didn't have to buy more than one large bag of potting soil-organic of course.

Yes I've lost a few seedlings along the way and some had to be sacrificed for the rest but I always still marvel that despite nearly identical growing conditions seedlings will still grow at different rates. There is always one that is bigger and taller than the rest and the opposite is that some die. Very much like all living creatures, wouldn't you say?

At this time my perennials are coming to life, blooming or soon to bloom for their respective season my little seedlings, now small plants would be unimpressive to most. But not to me they represent everything that is needed when things aren't good-hope that with all the right ingredients something will emerge from the dust that will be worth the effort.

Even if you don't have limited resources force yourself to grow on a budget or grow from seed. It's nothing short of a prayer for your soul. And putting a smile on your face ain't bad either.

Every time I put my hands in the earth or see something bloom I think of my father. This is dedicated to Michael Powlysyn 1920-2001, the consummate gardener.

Barbie Jeep Store น้ำหอมนำเข้า Proxima Projector